This summary sets out the key points about how Blue Star handles your personal information.
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to carry out our functions and/or activities in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988. Please note this policy does not cover categories of personal information that are not covered by the Privacy Act.
Collection of personal information
Blue Star only collects personal information that has been directly provided to us by our clients or prospective clients, authorised representatives of clients, our suppliers or potential suppliers, our employees or potential employees, or is otherwise available in the public domain where this information will assist us with the provision of electrical contracting services to our current and prospective clients and/or the individual consents to the collection of information and/or it is permitted under Australian law.
Information may have been provided verbally or in writing (including by email or through web forms).
Personal information is not disclosed to a third party unless the disclosure is necessary to support the delivery of the client services for which Blue Star has been, or is expected to be, engaged, or is required by law. Examples where personal information may be disclosed to a third party include:
- Disclosures to our related companies to provide services;
- Disclosures relating to the recruitment process;
- Superannuation details to a fund administrator;
- Redundancy fund details to a redundancy fund administrator;
- Tax File Number Declaration to the Australian Taxation Office;
- Where Blue Star is required by law to provide personal information so that Blue Star complies with court orders, subpoenas or other legislation that requires us to provide personal information (for example, a garnishee order).
In certain circumstances, Blue Star may also disclose personal information to third party service providers (such as IT service providers, offsite security storage service providers, credit managers, debt collection agencies, independent contractors and consultants) who assist us to administer our business. We may also provide a client’s or prospective client’s personal information to credit reporting bodies and other credit providers.
If information is gathered by our website/portal or online database, our web servers may gather your IP address to assist with the diagnosis of problems or support issues with our services. This information is gathered in aggregate only and cannot be traced to an individual user.
If you send Blue Star an application or a resume for a job, we will use your personal information (including, where necessary, sensitive information such as information relating to your health) to assess your application and may disclose this information to recruitment agencies and other third party service providers for purposes such as aptitude, psychological and medical testing.
The Company will use information you provide regarding your prior employment history to seek further information about you from referees.
Rights and choices
Under the Australian Privacy Principles, a person has the right to request access to any personal information that we may hold about them and to advise us if the information should be corrected.
We will (subject to the following exceptions) provide you with access to that information either by providing you with copies of the information requested, allowing you to inspect the information requested or providing you with an accurate summary of the information held. We will, prior to providing access in accordance with our policy, require you to provide evidence of your identity.
We will not provide you with access to your personal information if:
- Providing access would pose a serious threat to the life or health of a person;
- Providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- The request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- The information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between Blue Star and yourself and would not be discoverable in those proceedings;
- Providing access would reveal our intentions in relation to negotiations with you in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations;
- Providing access would be unlawful;
- Denying access is required or authorised by or under law;
- Providing access would be likely to prejudice certain operations by or on behalf of an enforcement body or an enforcement body requests that access not be provided on the grounds of national security.
In the event that Blue Star refuses you access to your personal information, we will provide you with an explanation for that refusal.
How to make a complaint
If you wish to make an enquiry about your personal information at Blue Star, or make a complaint because you believe that we may have breached the Australian Privacy Principles or a privacy code that applies to us, please contact our Privacy Officer:
Blue Star Pty Ltd
PO Box 10
Cannon Hill QLD 4170
Ph: 07 3200 3100
Fax: 07 3200 3111
We will respond to each request within a reasonable time. If a party has lodged a complaint with Blue Star and is not satisfied with our response, they may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.